Saturday, June 6, 2009

I believe there is no such thing as coincidence...

... things happen for a reason, and at the right time as well..... it is serendipitous.... such a wonderful word.... ser-en-di-pi-tous.... just listen to the sound of the syllables as you put them together to form the word... feel how serendipity simply rolls off the tongue....

Serendipitous, an adjective that comes from the word "serendipity" ~ Some synonyms.... coincidence, chance, fate, destiny (oh, that's a good one), karma (another good one), providence, luck, fortune.


The English Thesaurus states the following:

Serendipity ~ the accidental discovery of something pleasant, valuable, or useful; a natural gift for making pleasant, valuable, or useful discoveries by accident


Another favourite word of mine is synchronicity. The English Thesaurus defines the word synchronicity as follows:

The coincidence of events that seem related, but are not obviously caused one by the other. The term was first used in this sense in the work of the psychologist Carl Jung.


Serendipity and synchronicity. I believe they play a roll in everything we do as we go through life. Most of the time the role they play goes unnoticed as I go about my daily life. I have, however, been more consciously aware of how they have influenced my life in the last few weeks.... Let me explain.

The last 10 or 11 days of my life have been focused on two very diametrically different topics. Firstly, learning of and preparing for my upcoming surgery, and secondly, the experiences my daughter is having as she tours Tuscany and finally ~ finally ~ visits Venezia...

These two very diverse topics intersected each other two days ago; in effect, my daughter's travels, and my communications with her (which contributed most happily, in a greater understanding of how unique and amazing she is), found me on the path of my own self discovery, all because of a catalyst brought about by a very dear friend. Thus my blog was born.

A further occurrence that can only be described as providence, happened when another friend from 39 years ago, phoned me two days ago. K and I both played in the high school band together, and both K and my twin played clarinet together. K told me how much she had liked and admired Ken. She spoke of discussions they used to have ~ not the details, mind ~ just that they had taken place. Recently another friend from the past told me the same thing.... learning about this has had the most profound effect on my life, as I learn more about my twin vicariously through two of his friends ~ voices from my past, and now as well, my present.

The conversation I had two days ago with K was much more than just talking about Ken. That was only a single grain of sand within a conversation that opened my mind and my heart to a myriad of subjects as I learned of hardships K had overcome, how many parallels there were in our lives, and ultimately, through love and warmth and giving, she now has a life that is rich and abounding with love and happiness.

K reminded me, without saying a word, to look, once again, at my spiritual side. With no advance thought I picked up a book I had been reading some months ago called 'Hot Chocolate for the Mystical Soul'. As I started reading a few short stories yesterday from where I had left off, the very first one was about a person about to undergo surgery.

Thus, the two current focuses of my life merged. My daughter returns from Tuscany tomorrow, and in nine days I will have a new hip. Pixie Dust and Dragonflies will help me get through all of this as I map out my feelings and experiences, moving forward.

Thanks for listening, serendipitously...

No comments:

Post a Comment